Friday, October 10, 2008

half lame. half not lame.

last night I went and saw Wire for free. They're old. They played all new stuff and I got kind of bored so my friend and I checked out Banksy's new installation in the west village. it's really good. He turned a store front into a mock pet store with animatronic ironic 'animals' like chicken nuggets and a rabbit putting on makeup and a masturbating monkey watching tv.


Banksy explained "I took all the money I made exploiting an animal in my last show and used it to fund a new show about the exploitation of animals". cute


He also rented two walls in downtown and had them painted by commissioned painters






it's kind of weird that this messiah of street art is now loaded with money and has turned his tactics to more legal routes of expression. I don't know yet if I find it disheartening but it does definitely make the art a lot less guerrilla and special in the sense that it's a secret. Both aspects are still confronting though. See them if you can.

No comments: